• After two weeks in a row of undesirable finishes, Joe Gibbs Racing’s No. 20 Dollar General team had a strong performance at Road America, bringing home a sixth-place finish.
• The Johnsonville Sausage 300 Presented by Menard’s was driver Brian Vickers’ first time competing on Road America’s 4.048-mile road course and first time road racing with Joe Gibbs Racing. The 29-year-old qualified ninth for Saturday afternoon’s 200-mile Nationwide Series event, the 14th of 33 on the 2013 schedule.
• The first of eight cautions came out on lap three. With varying pit strategies throughout the field, crew chief Kevin Kidd called for Vickers to come to pit road under yellow-flag conditions for their first pit stop of the day. With four tires and fuel, Vickers was positioned 27th for the restart on lap five.
• The next yellow flag was out on lap 14 and Vickers had moved up to sixth. Kidd brought the Dollar General Camry to pit road for four Goodyear tires and fuel. Unfortunately, Vickers had to come back down pit road to tighten a loose lug nut. The field went back to green on lap 18 with the No. 20 Toyota in 19th.
• Vickers drove his way into 11th before the next caution flag fell on lap 29. After another four-tire stop, the DG Camry restarted 13th with 17 laps remaining. When the green flag came back out, Vickers was on the move, advancing his way to third before the first attempt at a green, white, checkered-flag finish.
• The caution came out before a lap was completed, making for a second attempt and a green, white, checkered finish. Vickers was lined up in fourth with the No. 22 of A.J. Allmendinger, the No. 31 of Justin Allgaier and the No. 77 of Parker Kligerman in front of him in first through third, respectively. After beating and banging their way through the final two laps, Vickers drove his No. 20 Dollar General car through the checkers in sixth for his seventh top-10 finish of the 2013 season.
• Vickers’ sixth place finish moved him up one position in the Nationwide Series Championship point standings, placing him ninth before the team’s next event at Kentucky Speedway.
• In recognition of Vickers’ top-10 finish at Road America this weekend, a 10 percent discount on all online Dollar General purchases will be offered on Monday, June 24. Visit www.dollargeneral.com to take advantage of this exclusive offer.
RACE: NASCAR Nationwide Series Johnsonville Sausage 200 Presented by Menards
TRACK: Road America
DRIVER: Brian Vickers
CAR: No. 20 Dollar General Toyota Camry
POINTS STANDING: 9th
-Joe Gibbs Racing PR