Former middleweight boxing champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. was suspended for the second time in just a few weeks as the Nevada State Athletic Commission took away his boxing license on Oct. 8.
The move was expected since the boxer’s blood test indicated marijuana in his system after losing his title by unanimous decision to Sergio Martinez of Argentina at Las Vegas’ Thomas and Mack Center on Sept. 15. The WBC had already suspended the 26-year-old Mexican boxer and fined him $20,000 for the incident.
The athletic commission handed down the suspension during its monthly meeting. The Nevada attorney general and Chavez will both plead their cases at a later date.
Keith Kizer of the athletic commission said Chavez’s boxing license was suspended, in the state and he didn’t object to it since he didn’t plan on fighting again this year. Kizer said the hearing could take place as soon as next month and he told Chavez’s promoter Bob Arum that the commission is ready to go ahead with the heari...