QB Tom Brady of the New England Patriots, FS Ed Reed of the Baltimore Ravens and KR/WR Brad Smith of the New York Jets are the AFC offensive, defensive and special teams players of the month for December/January.
Here’s a look at Brady’s performance:
* For the month, Brady completed 88 of 136 passes (64.7 percent) for 1,197 passing yards with 13 touchdown passes versus zero interceptions and a 124.5 passer rating as he helped the Patriots to a 5-0 record.
* Posted an NFL-best 13 touchdown passes and 124.5 passer rating in December/January.
* In Week 13 on Monday Night Football, Brady completed 21 of 29 passes (72.4 percent) for 326 yards with four touchdowns and no interceptions for a 148.9 passer rating in the Patriots’ 45-3 win against the New York Jets.
* In Week 16 at Buffalo, Brady (319) passed BERNIE KOSAR (308) and Pro Football Hall of Famer BART STARR (294) for the most pass attempts in a row without an interception in NFL history. He currently has an active streak of 335 passes without an interception.
* Helped the AFC East champion Patriots post an NFL-best 14-2 record this season and earned homefield advantage throughout the playoffs.
· In his 11th season from Michigan, this is Brady’s fourth Player of the Month Award. He most recently won the award in October of 2009.
Here’s a look at Reed’s performance:
* For the month, Reed registered 22 tackles and an NFL-best four interceptions as he helped the Ravens to a 4-1 record in December/January.
* In Weeks 16 and 17, Reed recorded back-to-back games with two interceptions. The Ravens are 11-0 when Reed has at least two INTs in a game.
* Reed has 21 interceptions in December/January since entering the league in 2002, the most in the NFL during that span.
* Led the NFL with eight interceptions in only 10 games this season.
· In his ninth year from Miami, this is Reed’s third Player of the Month Award. He most recently won the award in December of 2008.
· He is the second Raven to win Defensive Player of the Month this season (TERRELL SUGGS, November).
Here’s a look at Smith’s performance:
* Smith led the NFL with a 27.5 kickoff-return average (440 yards) and had one kickoff return-touchdown during the month.
* In Week 15, Smith totaled 140 kickoff return yards, including a 97-yard kickoff return-touchdown in the Jets’ 22-17 win at Pittsburgh.
* Smith ranked second in the NFL with a 28.6 kickoff return average this season (DAVID REED, 29.3).
* In his fifth season from Missouri, this is Smith’s first career Player of the Month Award. He joins kick returner JUSTIN MILLER (October of 2006) and punter TOM TUPA (November of 1999) as the only Jets to win Special Teams Player of the Month.